Re: context intermedia newbie question

From: Thomas Hesse <thomas.hesse_at_team.xtra.co.nz.nospam>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 11:16:10 +1300

Answers:
1. yes it will take also a lot space
2. It is fast because the query is not searching in CLOBS. The architecture is like this:

Table:
col1, col2, resume, ...
A,B,'this is a big CLOB', ...

create index <index> ...

internal table:
select token_text from DR$<index>$I;

row1: this
row2: is
row3: a
row4: big
row5: CLOB

A contains searches now in this internal table and not in your original table.

3. A search '%token%' is bad, even for intermedia text. Because it is a full table scan on DR$<index>$I. It there is a way to search with 'token%' or only 'token' then you will get a fast result.

Tip:
1. use the latest patchset 8.1.7.4
2. when you create the index use a high memory preference (as much as possible)
3. have a look a technet.oracle.com -> products -> Oracle Text for Docu, Samples and Performamce FAQs.

Thomas