Re: A question for VARS/Developers

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 16:14:37 GMT

Jeff Caspari wrote:
> I would like offer a type of survey question. Your opinions are appreciated
> and respected.
>
> If you were to undertake a complete rewrite of your applications (say some
> investor came in and completely funded the project), what programming
> language and DBMS would you choose and, if you're so inclined, why?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Jeff

I would choose RPG as a programming language because it's not well known, and would give me a certain amount of job security. I would choose MySQL as the database because I'm pretty sure there's no RPG to MySQL interface in existence, which would further my chances of asking for perpetual add-on contracts from my beneficient investor who was willing to throw any amount of money into the project. Oh yeah, and I would require that it all be on the web, then sit back and wait for RPG to become web-enabled.

But my boss would choose Java (jsp/beans/etc) and Oracle because he reads all the web services ads in the trade journals and that sounds like a pretty cool solution. Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 11:14:37 CDT