Re: A question for VARS/Developers

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:42:32 GMT

Jeff Caspari wrote:

> I would like offer a type of survey question. Your opinions are appreciated
> and respected.
>
> If you were to undertake a complete rewrite of your applications (say some
> investor came in and completely funded the project), what programming
> language and DBMS would you choose and, if you're so inclined, why?
>
> Thanks very much,
> Jeff

You asked at comp.databases.oracle.misc so, of course, I am going to suggest you do it in FORTRAN. ;-)

The truth of the matter is that while I might be partial one way or the other you have provided wholly insufficient information as to what "your applications" are. Are we talking OLTP or datamart? Are we talking megabytes or petabytes? Are we talking single user or tens of thousands of simultaneous transactions? Are we talking client-server or web? Are we talking PC or mainframe? Are there security requirements? Are there untime requirements? Are there failover requirements? Are there replication requirements?

I hope you don't expect any kind of substantive answer posting such a wholly inadequate question.

My guess is that you are a student trying to get someone to do your homework for you. In which case, given the scarcity of information, perhaps you should forget FORTRAN and just go with 3x5 cards. ;-)

Daniel Morgan
http://www.extension.washington.edu/extinfo/certprog/oad/oad_crs.asp Received on Wed Oct 23 2002 - 10:42:32 CDT