Re: How can i turn off sql prompt inn SQL Loader

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 13:04:57 +0200

Rune Myrhaug wrote:

> hello
>
> In sql Pluss you can turn off the prompt when a '&' occures with: set scan
> off
>
> How can i do the same in SQL Loader ??
>
> ...I have a sql loader data file with & chars i want to load in a table...

Not applicable AFAIK. You simply just load the data. The ampersand interpretation is a SQL*Plus thing and not an Oracle thing. IOW, the following is valid SQL:
INSERT INTO foobar VALUES ( '&', ':', '$', '!' )

Oracle will not reject that. SQL*Plus (and also ODBC and BDE) interpret some of these characters as special characters, indicating bind variables or whatever. They will in turn intefere with the above SQL before it gets transmitted to Oracle.

This is not the case with SQL*Loader. In fact, this should especially not be the case when dealing with any sort of data loading utility. Interference by the utility attempting to assign meaning to specific characters is a big no-no.

--
Billy