Re: getting started questions

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 22:17:01 GMT

brian wrote:
> getting started questions with oracle :
> (database administration and for learning as well as
> the certification, though certification is secondary)
>
> 1. besides training manuals for oracle is there a book or
> a guide that would help a starter with being able to
> install and configure a basic oracle db server so that
> one could start from here.
> good forums, mailing lists, etc

Try _Oracle DBA 101_ by Theriault, Carmichael, and Viscusi. It's very basic, but should be a good start. Covers more than the Dummies books, but unfortunately, isn't as humorous.

> 2. there is oracle 8 and 8i
> what does the i stand for ?

It stands for "internet" ... everyone wants to say they're internet enabled. I'm just surprised Oracle hasn't followed the rest of the sheep (vendors) and named some of their products eSomething ... eOracle 9i would cover both bases. :)

> 3. PL is no more in oracle 9 ? is that true ?

Well, I certainly hope it's still there ... even though Oracle is strongly pushing DBAs and developers to learn Java. Received on Tue Oct 22 2002 - 17:17:01 CDT