Re: Things to change after running Database Configuration Assistant?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 12:21:07 +0100

"John" <jriker1_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:e6bb5a8d.0210211146.741882bb_at_posting.google.com...
> The USERS tablespace thru DBA studio look like the following:
>
> Size: 119552KB at 99.79% full.
>
> Storage Tab:
> Initial Size: 128KB
> Next Size 128 KB
> Minimum Size 128 KB
> Increment Size By 0%
> Minimum Number 1
> Maximum Number/Value 4096
>
> Will these automatically grow as needed? I'm guessing it will as when
> I open up the properties for a particular tablespace, and highlight
> the space used, it says "99.78% full with autoextend", but the
> settings in the proprties bother me when there are settings like
> Increase Size By 0%.

That's because there are two different attributes that you appear to be confusing. The one shown above and which applies to the TABLESPACE is called PCTINCREASE and controls (indirectly) what size of extent will be grabbed by a database object in that tablespace by default. In your example all objects will have equal sized extents (of 128k) unless you choose otherwise. This is because the next extent size for each object increases at 0% (this is what pctincrease does). If you had pctincrease=100% say then after an extent was allocated the third extent would be 256k in size (128k + 128*100%) the fourth 512k (256+256*100%) and so on.

The second attribute applies to an individual DATAFILE and is the autoextent attribute. if you take a peek at the datafile in the USERS tablespace you'll find that it has autoextend set (and probably an amount to extend by and a mximum size). This is used when the file itself becomes full and some space is requested in it. The datafile will continue to expand unchecked until one of two things happen.

  1. its maxsize is reached and the user whose operation requested the extra space will get an error message basically saying i can't do that I don't have enough space
  2. The disk is full

Both of these are Bad Things(tm), and who knows might even cause the DBA to feel a total plonker, and so should be avoided by

  1. Not setting autoextend (or setting a max size) and
  2. Monitoring datafile usage and free disk space so that more files can be added (or more disks bought) before the problems raised above.
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA