Re: ODBC connection from linux oracle box to windows 2000 microsoft sql 2000 box via plsql?

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 07:43:44 +0200

William Cunningham wrote:

> Anyone know of the best way to connect to a Microsoft SQL 2000 Server on a
> Windows 2000 box from a Linux (RH 6.2) Oracle 8.1.7 box via PLSQL? I need
> to have programmatic access to both servers' databases.

External C procedure comes to mind... but then you will need to have dbLib for Linux to access SQL-Server, right? (been years since my SQL-Server days) External C proc on Oracle is like an extended C proc on SQL-Server.

There is also the OTG (Oracle Transparent Gateway) option. This makes SQL-Server looks like a (badly dressed) Oracle database and allows you to access it via a dblink in Oracle (e.g. you can do a SELECT stuff FROM remotetable_at_remotedb).

I can not think of anything else... (head hurt. early morning. have not had any coffee yet.)

--
Billy