Re: ORACLE DBA staffing

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 21 Oct 2002 17:22:26 -0700

eeb <beach9z_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3DB22B6F.9090701_at_yahoo.com>...
> Does anyone have a rule of thumb for DBA staffing like number of
> databases per DBA. I know this is kind of a strange question since the
> number can vary widely but in larger shops it might average out.

I've observed about 10-20% of database staff is about right for quite a large range of shop sizes, which of course implies a conflict for any place that has less than about 5 people. As others noted, the size of the staff is highly dependent on the life cycle of the cumulative dbs, and the expectations of what a DBA does. A new project may simply use 1 dba and a designer product... an old db may be ignored until users complain...

jg

--
@home is bogus.
[Insert funny play about swapping hats here.]