Re: ORACLE DBA staffing

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 17:01:19 GMT

eeb wrote:

> Does anyone have a rule of thumb for DBA staffing like number of
> databases per DBA. I know this is kind of a strange question since the
> number can vary widely but in larger shops it might average out.

From my experience one very senior developement DBA (not a production DBA) for each development box. And not as part of the DBA team but rather as a senior member of the development team.

In a stable, mature, environment I would consider 10-20 Oracle databases per DBA if the databases are production and 5-10 if some are test environments.

In an unstable environment ... poorly written and tested code ... miserable third-party products foisted upon IS/IT by some well meaning exec because of who he plays golf with ... whatever it takes to keep it up and running.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Oct 21 2002 - 12:01:19 CDT