Re: ORACLE DBA staffing

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 21 Oct 2002 06:45:08 -0700

eeb <beach9z_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<3DB22B6F.9090701_at_yahoo.com>...
> Does anyone have a rule of thumb for DBA staffing like number of
> databases per DBA. I know this is kind of a strange question since the
> number can vary widely but in larger shops it might average out.

The answer to this question depends totally on the size, load, and amount of development involved. During development you might need 4 or 5 full time DBA's to support one database. During maintenace mode operation 2 DBA's can easily support 4 or 5 production databases with two or three associated test db for each production db.

The answer is also highly dependend on the DBA job description. At some locations the DBA does a fair amount of development work (writes code), while at others the DBA monitors the db, modifies objects structures, verifies the backups and similar tasks but does not write code except for DBA use.

IMHO -- Mark D Powell -- Received on Mon Oct 21 2002 - 08:45:08 CDT