Re: want comment - Process loading normal in my case ?

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_nospam.une.edu.au>
Date: 21 Oct 2002 10:19:53 +1000

"Ginger Mall" <bocgco_at_hongkong.com> writes:

> During the state of database creation, the "top" command shows the following
> :
> 129 processes: 125 sleeping, 3 running, 1 zombie, 0 stopped
> CPU0 states: 23.2% user, 7.0% system, 0.0% nice, 69.2% idle
> CPU1 states: 98.1% user, 0.4% system, 0.0% nice, 0.5% idle
> Mem: 1031052K av, 1021460K used, 9592K free, 0K shrd, 6564K
> buff
> Swap: 2096472K av, 0K used, 2096472K free 764572K
> cached
>
> PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME COMMAND
> 11677 oracle 25 0 256M 256M 176M R 98.1 25.4 45:53 oracle
> 11005 oracle 15 0 10856 10M 5332 S 11.3 1.0 11:07 rhn-applet
>
> It seems the CPU loading is not balanced. Is it normal ? Will there be
> anything need to config for dual CPU machine ?

I don't think you have any problem here. Both your processors are under utilized - they both have idle cycles and if you think about it, there would be no advantage in trying to split the processing exactly in half as this would mean you would have the additional overhead of managing a process which is running on two processors, but with each processor still being under-utilized.

The only configuration to get the system to use multiple CPUs is to ensure SMP support is compiled into the kernel - obviously you already have this or you would not be able to utilize mroe than one cpu.

Probably the only thing I would wonder about is that one zombie process - zombies are not a problem in themselves and only indicate a parent process exited before its child had completed running, but if you get a lot of these, it may indicate something wrong and I find it useful to establish when possible what caused the zombie (but with only one, you can probably just ignore it).

Tim Received on Sun Oct 20 2002 - 19:19:53 CDT