Re: ORACLE -> registry -> multiple homes

From: Stephan <test_at_test.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 20:24:53 GMT

ok, ok,

Let me tell me this:
One year ago I had to install a database and 5 clients (Forms Runtime). The client installation I did by using the installer ON each client!

After a while I learned that I could install 1 client to a network drive and use
the corresponding (new born) Oracle registry key on all other clients. This works perfect.

Nowadays I go one step further:
In our office we installed the product (for ex. Forms+Reports runtime) to a network drive,
say "F:\frmrep"
The files and directories + corresponing oracle-reg-key I copied also to CDROM.
This CDROM I take with me to customer and copy to a network drive at customer, say " Z:\frmrep"
Then I edit the registry key (copied from CDROM) to set the correct drive-mapping etc.'search "F:\" and replace to "Z:\"' This key I import on each customer-client. -->Very fast, and I find it professional although this method is -I thinknot  'supported'.
NOTE: I did not use any installer during the client installation at customer.
Our customers are also very satisfied with it: for them the setup of a new client is just a registry-import!

Maybe now you know why I am interested in knowing the Oracle registry-mechanism a bit more.

Can you tell me:
I am doing stupid things?
Am I unproffesional by taking an alternative 'not supported' route?

Regards
Stephan