Re: ORACLE -> registry -> multiple homes

From: Stephan <test_at_test.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 12:36:14 GMT

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote in message news:fod3ruoq4p7p9jd9p67nqeqrr866f3iu8t_at_4ax.com...
> On Sat, 19 Oct 2002 13:45:27 GMT, "Stephan" <test_at_test.com> wrote:
>
> >Secondly: Imagine I installed some products in different homes on a
machine,
> >is it possible (by editing the registry) to add a new home manually?
>
> That would be very audacious

Sorry can you explain me?

> >(for example: copy a whole oracle home directory from another machine and
> >adjust the registry so the products in the copied oracle directory will
work
> >on taget machine)
>
> Why not sinply export the registry branch using the registry editor
> and import it on the target machine. Why trying to hack around?
Imagine you come at a customer and there is already some Oracle product installed (say a client).
Next you want to add Forms/Reports runtime by using a copy of the file-structure and a corresponding
regisrty-export (this works great for empty machines). As you know, when you import the Oracle key on target machine the existing one is overwritten.
In fact you want to ADD an Oracle product (orahome) to an existing Oracle machine by means of manually add/update the registry and copy the whole file-structure.

You wonder WHY I would like to do so?
It's faster to copy an Oracle home file structure and update manually the regisrty than using the installer.

Thanks
Stephan