Re: SQL using Oracle

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 09:19:05 +0100

"Zafer AKTAN" <zafer_at_redshift.com> wrote in message news:ur4602ckfpjl2f_at_corp.supernews.com...
> OK, this is what you will do:
> 1. visit http://technet.oracle.com
> 2. become an OTN member
> 3. download the database server 9.2 personal edition (read the OTN
license
> carefully).
> 4. Install the 9.2 personal edition and do a "typical" installation
(easier
> for you).
> 5. Then type sqlplus scott/tiger and start using sqlplus
> 6. Try to install the documentation to study sqlplus
> 7. You can also visit: http://tahiti.oracle.com for the online Oracle
> documentation.
> That's it for a beginner
> if you have more questions post it here or send me an email

Excellent post with which I have only one quibble. I'd go straight for the enterprise edition.

Some other clarifications/suggestions

  1. You don't have to *buy* any version of Oracle to learn on, its free for non-commercial use.
  2. Documentation: Start with the concepts guide.
  3. Book suggestion ,as you are already somewhat familiar with another database, take a look at Tom Kytes 'Expert One-onOne oracle'.
  4. Web site suggestions asktom.oracle.com , www.jlcomp.co.uk (especially the FAQ).
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA