SQLPlus -- Newbie Question with formating

From: LT Cheah <LT_Cheah_at_army.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 09:30:08 +0800

Can some guru suggest how I could accomplish a simple formatting of skipping every 2 rows for a substring of a column. I want to do something like below:-

BREAK ON SUBSTR(MY_COLUMN,1,3) SKIP 2
SPOOL C:\DATA\MY_DATA
SELECT * FROM MY_TABLE;
SPOOL OFF
CLEAR BREAKS To achieve the above what I'm currently doing is to create another table/view with an additional column SUBSTR(MY_COLUMN,1,3) AS "MY_GROUP" and then use BREAK ON MY_GROUP SKIP 2.

Is there a work around without creating this table?