Re: Oracle ODBC Drivers

From: BWag <bwagz_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: 18 Oct 2002 10:17:33 -0700

bpathakis_at_yahoo.com (Brent) wrote in message news:<1736c3ae.0210171958.1d98174_at_posting.google.com>...
> bwagz_at_bellsouth.net (BWag) wrote in message news:<8c2b8278.0210171333.792c19fc_at_posting.google.com>...
> > I was wondering if any has had problems with the Oracle ODBC drivers.
> > We recently upgraded our server from 7 to 8I. However, we didn't
> > upgrade the local clients. Everything appeared ok until I noticed that
> > certain fields in an access database were not coming over at all. The
> > data would come over fine if it was input prior to 8I upgrade anything
> > after there was problems. So I upgraded the ODBC driver to 8I and it
> > seems to work fine. We are now seeing more problems with the 7 ODBC
> > Driver. It only seems to be happening on the applications that use the
> > ODBC 7 driver. I know that this is the answer to my question. To just
> > upgrade the driver, but I was wanting to know the reason why... Thanks
> > for your Help
> >
> > Bwagz
>
> Using the 817 client and 816 ODBC drivers, I've had no problems in
> access 2000...however, I have had problems with ODBC( Oracle, sybase
> and others) .. in access 97. In each case upgrading to access 2000
> solved the problem. access 97 seemed to be a bit flaky about hanlding
> odbc connections.
>
> As for the client, I'm always in favor of using new drivers, but I've
> also had no problems using Oracle 7 clients to access 817 databases.

I understand that the new driver is the best way to go. However, I am thinking that this is not just an access97 Issue. We have a pearl script that is also creating problems for us. We are seeing corrupt indexes in the database. I have rebuilt the indexes and with in a day or two they are corrupt again. My theory is that the ODBC connection is the cause. I have seen the problem in the select SQL in access97 and think that it is also happening in the Insert sql in the Pearl Script. Thanks for the information.... Anyone have any suggestions.

Bwagz Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 12:17:33 CDT