Re: Some beginner's help please?

From: Randy <dmnelson50_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:12:41 GMT

Ken Denny <ken_at_kendenny.com> wrote in

> Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in
>
>> Randy wrote:
>>

>>> I have this query I've been trying to write all week and had no
>>> success. Here's the problem.
>>>
>>> In table "A" I list a TRBLTKT number, CREATEDBY number and CLOSEDBY
>>> number. The Createdby and Closedby numbers join over to another table
>>> called PERSONAL, that has IDNUM, LASTNAME and FIRSTNAME as fields.
>>> My problem is, how do I write a select that resolves the Createdby and
>>> closedby numbers seperately (if they were different people).
>>> For one, I'd do:
>>> select a.trbltkt, personal.lastname from
>>> a, personal where a.createdby = personal.idnum;
>>>
>>> how do I write it to match both fields.. I'm stumped.. help please...
>>>
>>> Randy
>>
>> This appears to me to be a homework assignment and I, and others I
>> suspect, will gladly help you but we try not to do people's homework
>> for them.
>>
>> Post your best shot at it and we will give you pointers as to what to
>> do next to get the correct solution. Be sure to tell us what version of
>> Oracle as the solution may be different in 8i from 9i.
>
> I agree with Daniel, but I'll give you a small hint: table aliasing.

Ahhh.. Thanks for the complement guys, but I'm 42, have 2 grandchildren, and haven't been in school for 20 years (well, the odd Cisco class). This tells me this must be REALLY simple, so I'll take the hint and dig around on table aliasing (btw, the actual query is much more complicated, I just simplified it down some for clarity. I'm actually pulling data from several tables and formatting it out to a HTML page that runs the query on a CRON job every hour.. did I mention I've been a unix sysadmin for the last 10 years also..)

you guys make a fella feel young... lol Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 12:12:41 CDT