Re: Database or a banking job?

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 17:00:40 GMT

Karsten Farrell wrote:

> it_at_it.com wrote:
> > Excuse me but I feel this is where I should look for an answer to - Can
> > some of the pros please give some insight on the following:
> > I went for and interview for a DBA in a bank and on the test it turned out I
> > could also go for a Loan officer training. I just wonder how interesting
> > would be that type of job ? I think it could be easier to advance in career
> > among the bankers than among IT people but I wonder how
> > lucrative&troublesome is each of the career tracks?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > IT
>
> I think your choice depends on where the bank is located. Banks in the
> US are pretty stable. Banks in Romania, where my wife is from, are not
> so stable (the bank manager there ran off with all the depositor's
> money). Some banks get robbed a lot too.
>
> I think your choice depends on your personality. I am a DBA and my wife
> is a loan officer (at a credit union instead of a bank). I get irate
> developers in my office; she gets irate customers with unusually dismal
> credit ratings demanding to get an unsecured loan at an interest rate
> that only those with exceptional credit can expect. When we're not
> dealing with irate people, I'm all alone in my office working on all
> those tuning issues DBAs seldom have time for; she's talking to
> everyone. I think that means DBAs are used to working alone whereas loan
> officers like to be around people.
>
> But the real choice boils down to the fact that DBAs make a whole lot
> more money than loan officers do. I even make more money than the bank
> manager does. Of course, that's just one couple's experience. Your
> mileage may vary. :)

I think you would be hard pressed to find any bank officer at the branch level that makes as much as any Oracle professional. But then again they consider the title Vice President to be an entry level position and that carries so much prestige (course you can't buy food with it).

Daniel Morgan Received on Fri Oct 18 2002 - 12:00:40 CDT