Re: OTN developer versions on CD?

From: John Roberts <jroberts_at_bogus.sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 20:50:24 GMT

"Chris" <chrisl_ak_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:b62b39cb.0210152306.340292b4_at_posting.google.com...
> Is the only option for getting the OTN versions of the Oracle DBs to
> either download (SLOW) or purchase one of the $199 subscription tracks
> (they don't have the software I am looking for in any of the tracks)?
>
> I see "CD Packs" in the store, but they indicate you have to purchase
> a license-- I just want to start learning Oracle (looking for a new
> job!) without having to pay many thousands of dollars, and preferably
> without waiting many days to download (connections to Alaska are not
> speedy at the moment)...

I think the OTN license applies to the Oracle product no matter how the media was obtained (download, tech track, Oracle Store CD pack, borrowed from a fellow DBA, etc.).

But there is another source - books. I have a copy of an Oracle Press Book titled "Getting Started with Oracle". It came in both Windows and Linux versions with a dev license/CD for Oracle 8.1.6 included. I would guess that Oracle 9i versions will soon appear, especially since Microsoft Press always has a SQL Server training kit that includes a 120 day trial version of their DBMS.

John Received on Wed Oct 16 2002 - 15:50:24 CDT