Re: ora-01089 error

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 21:38:43 +0200

"Michael" <mo_sullivan_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:7EPq9.7816$cP3.16494_at_news.iol.ie...
> we have an oracle database and twice in the last 2 weeks it has crashed .
> the users ccome in in the morning and cannot log in. they recieve the
> following error 'ora-01089: immediate shutdown in progress - no operations
> are permitted'.If i look at the app logs on the server the only thing
there
> is that the tape unit timed out, but that is only because it runs a pre
job
> batch file to shutdown the database before it backs it up, so what i can
> figure is that it cannot shutdown the database so it therefoe cannot
proceed
> with the backup, the backup happens at 22:30 each night. But at 19:30 each
> night the oracle database is shutdown , and export of the data is done and
> then it is restarted.what i think is happening is the export is done, but
> for some reason the database is not restarted, so the backup at 22:30
cannot
> happen. The export log shows that the export is carried out successfully.
> According to our suppliers who took a copy of the oracle trace log the
last
> time [2 weeks ago] it happened the problem is not with oracle.
> If someone could point me in the direction of what to look at, logs etc to
> try to get to the root of the problem. the OS is NT4 fully patched and
> oracle 6i.
> Many thanks

1 You cannot export a database which is down. 2 Consequently, you're description of the events is most likely incorrect and/or incomplete
3 As you don't post any details from the alert log, you ask people here to be clairvoyant. I have to disappoint you: no one here is. 4 Oracle 6i doesn't exist
5 In short: you should come up with *exact* details (excerpts from the alert and and the accompanying *.aud file from the %ORACLE_HOME%/rdbms/audit directory), otherwise you won't get any help.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA