server derived and server defaulted value

From: shoa <son_at_slingshot.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:30:55 +1300

Hello all,

I've been trying to understand the difference between these two concepts. In the property pallete when we explore any column of any table in the server model, the two properties "server derived" and "server defaulted" could be set up by selecting Yes or No. What do they actually mean?

As with my understanding, "server derived" means whether a column value is derived on the server and therefore should not be set by client. "Server defaulted" means whether a default value should be supplied by application logic if no value is supplied by a client. Do these two properties need to be set associatively or not? If "server derived" is set to "No", then "server defaulted" should be set to "No" as well I thought. What happen to the "server defaulted" if the "server derived" is set to "Yes" then?

Any idea is very appriciated.

Thank you very much.

Son Received on Tue Oct 15 2002 - 02:30:55 CDT