Re: Jserver - Future

From: Tim Cross <tcross_at_nospam.une.edu.au>
Date: 14 Oct 2002 09:48:55 +1000

"dmz17" <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com> writes:

> On Thu, 10 Oct 2002 22:25:38 +0200, Nicolas Bronke wrote:
>
> > We have an Application which is using TomCat and Apache with an Oracle 8.1.7
> > database. To find out the best combination we checked now the Oracle
> > JServer. But we found out, that this is only spporting Java 2.0 (we are
> > using higher) and also that the project is stopped and Tomcat or else are
> > recommended?
> >
> Excuse me. OP talked about JServer, which is Java in the database.
> period.
>
> I do know what jserv is, it is an entirely different animal.
>
> Oracle has switched to OC4J almost 18 months ago.
>
> The 'new jserv' is mod_oc4j which attaches to OHS, which is
> Oracle Http Server (thusly named, because it cannot legally be
> named 'Apache'. However, it *IS* Apache.
>
> I believe mod_oc4j does in fact use the aj protocol.
>
> Oracle Application Server 9i IS based on Apache. The Java thing is
> OC4J, a complete, compliant, certified, J2EE stack.
>
> Anyone developing a J2EE application adhering to standards will be
> able to port their application to Oracle by simply supplying the
> ear file.

OK, I apologise - you have obviously done more work in this area than me. I think the confusion might be due to the OP's reference to tomcat, which was the alternative java servlet engine when I was doing servlets some time ago and confusion between jserv versus jserver - I was not aware that jserver refered to something different.

However, I have to say I'm still a bit confused - my Oracle 8.1.7 DOES come with jserv, apache and BC4J - I cannot find any jserver or OC4J. The jserv it comes with IS the Apache Jserv which is a servlet engine and which IS a servlet project which seems to have stalled and does not comply with 2JEE (at least not the last time I checked).

Could there be some confusion here between Oracle 8i and 9i? Did the switch to OCJ4 or whatever happen in 9i not 8i (which is the db I thought the OP was talking about).

I still think the OP may have been talking about jserv even though they wrote jserver as their comparison is with tomcat and what they are saying about development stalling and not being up to the latest java version is correct for jserv?

I guess we will just have to put it down to poor communication and the reuslt of working with incomplete information.

Tim Received on Sun Oct 13 2002 - 18:48:55 CDT