Re: RULE or COST based???

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 21:29:05 +0200

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:37:42 GMT, Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com> wrote:

>If your Forms run fast after you've removed all statistics, then in that
>one, and only one, specific case, RBO is superior. However, I doubt you
>could apply that to a generalized case. There are some pretty clever
>software engineers at Oracle who are working very hard to make the CBO
>outperform RBO in a typical environment. At least that's what Larry (and
>I'm not talking about Leisure Suit Larry here) told me to say. :)

Please read up on the differences between RBO and CBO, and above all *all* the features, like partitioning, parallel query, function based indexes RBO doesn't support and never will support, and stop spreading the fairy tale RBO is superior to CBO. It isn't. You are suffering from the superstition a full table scan is always bad.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Oct 11 2002 - 14:29:05 CDT