Re: Access to Oracle

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 17:33:26 GMT

Pride wrote:
> I have several data bases in Microsoft Access and I want to change to
> Oracle, but I don't know if this change is easy or I have to do new data
> bases.
> Someone can help me please.

It's actually quite easy to migrate tables and data from Access to Oracle. However, you can get into trouble if you don't first take some steps in Access. For example, Access allows you to name your tables and columns in mixed case. Oracle does too ... but only if you're willing to surround them in quotes every time you use them - eg, SELECT "MixedColumn" FROM "MixedTable". You'll find your life much easier if you first convert all your object names to uppercase in Access. Then Oracle won't care if you reference them with upper or lower or mixed case - 'SELECT column' will be the same as 'select Column' or 'select COLUMN' or any other combination you care to type.

Just one of the gotchas we ran into here. There may be others, of course. Received on Thu Oct 10 2002 - 12:33:26 CDT