Re: No Rollback Segments in Database

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 10 Oct 2002 07:18:48 -0700

"Randy Harris" <randy.harris_at_nospam.net> wrote in message news:<262p9.3026$F53.2842529_at_newssvr28.news.prodigy.com>...
> I installed 8.1.7 on Windows 2000. I used the Configuration Assistant to
> create a new database, I selected Custom and set the sizes for the
> tablespaces. I had problems using the database and tracked it down to lack
> of any public rollback segments, only one for System. There was an RBS
> tablespace, but no rollback segments within it.
>
> Was the problem because of something I did in creating the database?
> Shouldn't there always be at least one public rollback segment? How does
> the Configuration Assistant determine how many rollback segments to create?
> I don't recall having run into this problem in the past.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.

I don't think CA creates public rollback segments. I generally use scripts to create the entire database (Call me old fashioned), so I am not too sure about CA.

> Shouldn't there always be at least one public rollback segment?
No. You have to create them. There is only system rollback segment created at the time you create the database.

You can use the following command to create one to many segments. CREATE PUBLIC ROLLBACK SEGMENT RB1 TABLESPACE RBS STORAGE (OPTIMAL 4096K);
ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT "RB1" ONLINE; After creating these segments, specify them in init.ora file as rollback_segments = (RB1, RB2, ....) so that they are online on next database startup.

/Rauf Sarwar Received on Thu Oct 10 2002 - 09:18:48 CDT