RULE or COST based???

From: Stephan <test_at_test.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 21:05:01 GMT

Let me tell you a little story.
I started developing a forms application on Ora 7.3.4. There was 1 simple instance whit NO settings voor RULE/CBO or other. I just created the tables, did NO analyze and developed Oracle FORMS against it.It worked well and fast.

The application was ready and implemented at different customers, each with there own database.
(versions ranging 7.3.4 to 8i).
(from our instance export to a dump file, created a new instance at
customers Oracle databases
and imported the dump there)
No problem.All customers experience(d) good response of database.

One customer, running Oracle 8.0 on Unix, did create the instance for us. We also imported the dump and now the response is slower and slower every day at that instance.
I did make a dump of customers database and imported in a 8i NT Oracle database in our office.
An what happens? The forms are slow!
I did do some SQL_TRACE and TKPROF and EXPLAIN_PLAN. I saw many FULL .. SCANS so I decided to remove ALL statitiscs (dbms_utility ... 'delete') from
database. The Forms now run FAST, except form some queries.

So my question: did I develop RULE BASED? Do you have suggestions according to above story?

Thanks
Stephan Received on Wed Oct 09 2002 - 16:05:01 CDT