Re: problems with sql*plus buffer

From: Malcolm Dew-Jones <yf110_at_vtn1.victoria.tc.ca>
Date: 9 Oct 2002 12:19:21 -0800

Michael L. Hostbaek (carlos_at_pez.dk) wrote:
: hmmm.. what is the use of the 'list' command then ? I mean, you should
: be able to issue a list command to see the last XX commands in the
: history buffer.

: I know editing is hopless in sql*plus - however I will not make OS files
: for every little command I am writing. I would like to be able to select
: fx. the third last command and re-run it.. it should be possible..

You can't claim to know that "editing is hopless in sql*plus" and then ask for both a good editing capability and also no use of another tool.

On windows, I keep notepad running in one corner, and sqlplus running in the other corner. All non-trivial commands eventually end up in the notepad window and are copy/paste'd as needed from one window to the other. This takes but several keystrokes, all but the oracle mouse select keep my hand on the keyboard. These two tools, sql*plus and notepad, while not ideal in themselves, are always available on any windows machine, which is what I am almost always given to use when doing Orcale work.

Notepad can edit an unnamed file if you prefer not to leave files lying around, but in fact I usually have one "scratch pad" file for each project. The project's scratch pad file is commonly one of my most important and useful references. If someone calls with a problem and I have to review something from six months ago, then the various utility queries I found useful to check the data are all there "just where I left them" so to speak, along with noteworthy query results, and written instructions to myself about what I was doing, or examples I figured out that appeared useful but didn't get used in the project.

Instead of fighting your tools, just figure out how to use the things you have. Received on Wed Oct 09 2002 - 15:19:21 CDT