Re: Does anyone have some SQL source code for a UNI project

From: Alan Mills <Alan.Mills_at_nospamservices.fujitsu.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:21:04 +0100

Sorry - Don;t do homework assignments but I will offer a little advice to build a database quickly. you never mentioned application code to drive the thing but just the database itself.

In the time you wait for an answer you could build the scripts to create the database if you think about it a bit.

My typical example fro these types of discussions is a bank account system with credit cards etc. Think through, and more importantly wroite down, the types of relationships you have with your own bank account(s). A person can have one or more accounts.
An account can be for one or more person. An account may have one or more credit/payment cards An account may have one or more transactions on it.

Now take your written relationships. Extract every single noun and you have your table set. Even with the four relationships above you now have 6 tables. Not to mention any lookups on types of account, transaction types etc etc you might want.

Should take about half an hour now to build a SQL script to create this database.

As it's a UNI project though, you might want to contrive a self referential table (pig's ear relationship) in it somewhere. They like that! You've already got your many to many above.

"Give and man a fish and he will eat to day. Give a fishing rod and he has the means to eat everyday"