Re: Oracle 9i on SuSE 8.0: unable to attach to share memory segment, please help

From: dmz17 <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 17:22:11 +0200

On Sun, 06 Oct 2002 23:34:21 +0200, Roman Zhovtulya wrote:

> Thanks a lot for your info.
> But: the installation worked the first time and I guess there is some stuff
> left from that initial installation that doesn't allow any next installation
> to succeed. Any ideas on how to get a box to the previous "clean" state?
> As I said, reinstalling SuSE doesn't help.
>
> Thank you,
> Roman
>

>> Things to watch out for:
>>
>> 9i was never certified to run with SuSE 8.0, but I have run it
>> without problems.
>>
>> If I recall correctly, you HAVE TO set the kernel parms as per
>> the release notes/install guide. Use 9iR2, not 1.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> dmz17
> "dmz17" <dmz17_at_nospam.nowhere.com> wrote in message

>> On Sun, 06 Oct 2002 18:29:44 +0200, Roman Zhovtulya wrote:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> > I wonder if anyone came across the same problem installing Oracle 9i
> under

>> > SuSE 8.0 as I'm struggling with for the 3rd day already, and could give
> me

>> > some advice?
>> >
>> > The very first installation worked fine, but when I tried to install
> Oracle

>> > again in the different place, it keeps on giving me "unable to attach to
>> > shared memory segment". The error persists even after the complete
>> > reinstallation of Linux.
>> >
>> > I remember that I forgot to shutdown the database before uninstalling it
> the

>> > first time, so I had to kill the processes by hand.
>> >
>> > "ORACLE_HOME" and "ORACLE_SID" are set correctly.
>> >
>> > I tried to start the database by hand with SQL Plus; I'm able to start
> the

>> > instance, but when it comes to mounting it, the control files are
> lacking. I

>> > tried to create them with SQL Plus, but I'm probably doing something
> wrong,

>> > since it always returns an error, that the parameters don't match the
>> > database configuration.
>> >
>> > On the other hand, when I type "ipcs" to see the share memory and
>> > semaphores, there is nothing used by Oracle.
>> >
>> > There should be something fundamentally wrong here, that the standard
>> > installation cannot proceed. What really boggles the mind is that the
>> > problem still persists even after formatting the hard drive and
> reinstalling

>> > Linux.
>> >
>> > Do you have any ideas?
>> >
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thank you very much,
>> >
>> > Roman Zhovtulya
>> > Database Lab
>> > Offenburg University

Reinstalling the operating system to repair Oracle? This isn't Windows!

On Linux:

Remove the $ORACLE_HOME, remove the two ora* files in /etc (oratab and oraIns*), remove the
three or four files or links in /usr/local/bin Remove the data files

If you installed in, say /opt/oracle, you will have things like oraInventory and the like in /opt/oracle as well. get rid of it.

Getting rid of a complete Oracle installation on Linux would take approx. 30 seconds. Received on Mon Oct 07 2002 - 10:22:11 CDT