Re: Oracle ODBC Connectivity

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 09:32:12 -0500

Just a response to the first part of this reply ( 'cause I'm a little tired of those who think upgrades are routine):

If you have 10 or 20 instances of Oracle running in a multi-site production environment and many of them are accessed by 3rd party apps ( developed in many cases by consultants) and those consultants only certify their apps against the version of Oracle it was written for, upgrading can be a very expensive and time-consuming process which will usually be put off until a scheduled upgrade of the app ( if any). - The cost to have the apps rewritten every time Oracle decides they need to issue a patch or version change ( except for security or memory leak issues) is prohibitive so, if it ain't broke we don't fix it..

New installations of course will use the latest stable release..( if there is such a thing with Oracle)

Thanks for the vent opportunity...

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Mon Oct 07 2002 - 09:32:12 CDT