Re: How to identify a new record (not saved)?

From: Rauf Sarwar <rs_arwar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 6 Oct 2002 13:03:31 -0700

"Nick" <aroughguy_at_nsp.toughguy.net> wrote in message news:<QoQn9.12427$Sr6.404471_at_ozemail.com.au>...
> I'm using Form Builder 6i on WinXP Pro
> Couldn't find anything on row_flag or row_new in any Form Builder Help
> topics
>
> Can you be more specific?
>
> As said my way works fine, my concern is only on performance when data grows
> large.
>
> Thanks
> Nick

I only mentioned ROW_xxx as a description. Actual value is a Hex value and different tools have different ways of doing the same thing. i.e. Find out a rows flag.

Even though I am not too familiar with Oracle Forms, I am sure there are plenty of built in functions in Forms to do this kind of thing. I beleive there is a Get_Record_Property (or similar) function to determine the status of current record. It would be either NEW, CHANGED etc.

My suggestion,

  1. You should familiarize yourself with Forms thorougly before starting any development.
  2. Familiarize yourself with Client server development. Specially what should be avoided in Client/Server development which could impact "Performance".

> As said my way works fine, my concern is only on performance when data grows
> large.

Indeed. But this logic is flawed.

  1. Why make an unnecessary server call *just* to find out if a row is new or it exists on server. This can be easily done on the client side using row property/flag.
  2. This may not be an issue if table is small and there are few users. This could have impact if a table grows and multiple users are trying to do the same thing.
  3. PK based search on the server side could result in data loss. e.g. User A adds a new row but have not saved yet. User B adds and saves the row with same PK value as user A. User A wants to delete his unsaved row. Your PK based server search could delete user B's row even though user A has not saved his row yet.

/Rauf Sarwar Received on Sun Oct 06 2002 - 15:03:31 CDT