newbie sql question

From: ksmith <NoSpam_at_erieplating.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 08:37:24 -0400

Orace 8i on Linux RH7.2

I have two tables, a workorders table and a quotes table. I am trying to count all of the parts that are in the workorders table AND in the quotes table year to date. However they need to be distinct. For instance some parts are in the workorders table more than once, maybe even by two differnent customers. I can find the DISTINCT partid and customers using the following script:

select distinct q.customerid, q.partid
from quotes q, workorders wo
where q.partid like wo.partid
and q.customerid like wo.customerid
and to_number(to_char(q.datetimequoted,'YYYY')) = to_number(to_char(sysdate,'YYYY'))
and wo.datetimeentered > q.datetimequoted

This returns

CUSTOM PARTID

GEN013 4D98592 However, I want a count and not the actual customer and part id. wishful SQL:
select count(distinct q.partid, q.customerid) .....

Any help would be appreciated. As you can probably tell, I am far from an experience developer or dba. Thanks Received on Wed Oct 02 2002 - 07:37:24 CDT