Pro*C, DBMS_PIPE.RECEIVE_MESSAGE() and NULL

From: Berny <bernhard.voelker_at_siemens.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:23:32 +0200

Hello,

I have the following problem:

I have two programs which call DBMS_PIPE.UNPACK_MESSAGE() and receive the NULL value; but one of the programs gets a 'ORA-01405: fetched column value is NULL' exception.

They are exactly doing the same thing,
connect to the same database (8.0.6.2.)
as the same user, listen to the same pipe, run on the same client (SunOS 5.5.1),
are compiled with the same Makefile within the same terminal window, and are linked to the same libraries.

I searched google for a solution and and I found something about indicators, but that does not explain why the other program does not get the exception.

Is there something I forgot?
I'm clueless :-(

Thanx in advance,
Berny

This is the code:

   EXEC SQL BEGIN DECLARE SECTION;
     varchar buffer[100];
   EXEC SQL END DECLARE SECTION;

   EXEC SQL EXECUTE

     BEGIN
       :oraStatus := DBMS_PIPE.RECEIVE_MESSAGE('my_pipe');
     END;

   END-EXEC;
   if (rc) /* some error */;

   EXEC SQL EXECUTE