Re: trigger help please

From: Skippy <SkippyNOSPAM_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 20:57:46 -0400

This was my attempt at the trigger.. but it does not work.. no error code.. but it lets me insert data that I should not be allowed to.

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER trg_PreReqs
 BEFORE INSERT
 ON Grade
 FOR EACH ROW   DECLARE
   PreNo NUMBER(4) ;
   OldCourse NUMBER(4) ;
   no_prereq EXCEPTION ;
  BEGIN
   PreNo := 0;

  EXCEPTION
   WHEN no_data_found THEN
    PreNo := 0;

   WHEN no_prereq THEN
   raise_application_error(-20000,'Prerequisite not met for this course.' ) ;

END;

> What you likely have missed is that Skippy is a student ... and proposing
an alternative solution will not cut the
> mustard with the instructor.
>
> Skippy, what you need is a trigger on the registration table as you
suggest. But you have demonstrated no effort on
> your part to write one short of apparently asking someone to do it for
you.

> Go to http://tahiti.oracle.com and look up "BEFORE INSERT TRIGGER." There
you will find instructional material and
> examples though I would suspect that you have them in your textbook and
examples from class.

> If, after writing your trigger and attempting to debug any errors you are
still having problems ... post your
> efforts here as well as the full and complete ORA-#### error message and
text. Then someone will help you fix it.