Re: So ya think 7.3.4 is desupported...

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 15:26:34 GMT

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> "Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message
> > Oracle desupport notices are very interesting. They very clearly
> > state a date when ECS (Error Correction Services) is no longer
> > supported - say, 31-Dec-2000 for 7.3.4
> >
> > But...
> >
> > If you read further down in the desupport notice, it talks about
> > EMS (Extended Maintenance Service), which would be 31-Dec-2002 for
> > 7.3.4. Then it very clearly states what is and is not included in
> > EMS... and very clearly states that it does include ECS. Seems the
> > only thing EMS doesn't support is certification to newer OS or
> > compilers.
> >
> > How 'bout that! Similar statements seem to be in all the desupport
> > notices. Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya choice.
> >
> > jg
> > --
> > @home is bogus.
> > What's the deal with CORBA not in 9.2, anyways? Wasn't that supposed
> > to be The Next Big Thing?
>
> I don't think this advice is very useful. Most people retaining an old
> version simply do nothing about their support license, hence they are
> unsupported.
> Also, you remain stuck to whatever version of hardware and O/S you have, and
> the O/S and/or the hardware is likely to be unsupported too.
> That will usually result in unpleasant surprises when the server goes down,
> and no hardware replacement exists.
> And I think, if you would have really read the terms of ECS and EMS
> carefully you would have noticed they do almost nothing for you.
> In short, I think this advice as a generic advice is stupid and
> unprofessional.
>
> Regards
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker
> Senior Oracle DBA
>
> to reply remove '-verwijderdit' from my e-mail address

I think it is equivalent to a physician not learning anything about new procedures, new diagnostic tests, and new prescription medications ... because so far the old one's haven't killed anyone yet.

Part of being a professional is doing the best you can for the people that are writing you a check for your time and expertise. If your only concern is "playing it safe" or your only concern is saving money on one line item while running up the costs on the others ... you are not doing anyone a favor.

Daniel Morgan Received on Mon Sep 30 2002 - 10:26:34 CDT