Re: installation error - please help

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 22:37:34 +0200

"YLW" <ylw_at_no_reply.com> wrote in message news:8jml9.260$fI.25459824_at_newssvr13.news.prodigy.com...

> During installation of Personal Oracle9i for Win98,
> I got an error from Oracle DB Configuration Assistant that says:
>
> "ORA-03113: end-of-file on communication channel"
>
> What does this error message mean? And, do I need to
> uninstall and then reinstall?
>
> TIA

This is a catch all message stating you have lost contact with the database. At installation it usually means you have made the cache bigger than virtual memory allows.
For 9i, during installation you get the change to review memory related parameters like shared_pool_size, java_pool_size, db_block_buffers and others.
Afterwards you can change them by editing c:\oracle\admin\<sid>\pfile\init.ora
and bouncing the database.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker