Re: So ya think 7.3.4 is desupported...

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2002 11:05:29 +0200

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message news:91884734.0209271548.49a0cfb_at_posting.google.com...
> Oracle desupport notices are very interesting. They very clearly
> state a date when ECS (Error Correction Services) is no longer
> supported - say, 31-Dec-2000 for 7.3.4
>
> But...
>
> If you read further down in the desupport notice, it talks about
> EMS (Extended Maintenance Service), which would be 31-Dec-2002 for
> 7.3.4. Then it very clearly states what is and is not included in
> EMS... and very clearly states that it does include ECS. Seems the
> only thing EMS doesn't support is certification to newer OS or
> compilers.
>
> How 'bout that! Similar statements seem to be in all the desupport
> notices. Ya pays ya money and ya takes ya choice.
>
> jg
> --
> @home is bogus.
> What's the deal with CORBA not in 9.2, anyways? Wasn't that supposed
> to be The Next Big Thing?

I don't think this advice is very useful. Most people retaining an old version simply do nothing about their support license, hence they are unsupported.
Also, you remain stuck to whatever version of hardware and O/S you have, and the O/S and/or the hardware is likely to be unsupported too. That will usually result in unpleasant surprises when the server goes down, and no hardware replacement exists.
And I think, if you would have really read the terms of ECS and EMS carefully you would have noticed they do almost nothing for you. In short, I think this advice as a generic advice is stupid and unprofessional.

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA