Re: How to find the Database version without opening the Database

From: Karsten Farell <kfarrell_at_medimpact.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 23:38:14 GMT

I don't know how reliable this is ... or if it's what you're looking for ... and I only found it true on our Solaris systems (not on Win2k). At $ORACLE_BASE/oraInventory/Components/oracle.server you will find a directory that lists the version of Oracle that was installed (8.1.7.0.0 in my case). But it's the version of the software, not necessarily of any database (though if you use this software, you'll create a database of that version). And you can get it with a Unix util like 'find' or 'grep' (no database needed).