Re: Recovering the Data from DBF files

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:56:37 +0200

"Young" <uylee_at_madco911.com> wrote in message news:uoms4glth3oobf_at_corp.supernews.com...
> The machine I have problems with had a single hard drive that contained
the
> OS, the registry, and the database; and after a lot of effort I am unable
> boot from this drive, but I installed a second drive with an OS and
registry
> and I boot from the new drive and then I can access the old drive. The
> problem now however, is that the new registry does not know about the
> database on the old drive, and therefore, the instance will not start.
> Since I am unable to boot from the old drive, I thought that I could
install
> Oracle on the new drive to get the registry set properly, start an
instance,
> and some how point the database toward the existing .dbf files on the old
> drive. Is this possible, or are there inherent reasons why this will not
> work in Oracle? Or, is there a better solution?

Sigh. Why do people never have appropiate backups, and almost every single Oracle database is on 1 single drive?
Looks like you need to reinstall Oracle. Then you need to recreate the service with the oradim command. Then you need to recreate the controlfile. It looks like you have to engineer a controlfile manually, as you probably never issued 'alter database backup controlfile to trace' and now it's too late. The appropiate syntax is of course in the sql reference manual. You will be forced to open the database using the alter database open resetlogs statement, thus loosing any changes in the online redolog file. However, you probably will also be forced to recover the database (alter database recover until cancel), if you don't have all the redo logfiles, you will be forced to cancel the recovery, and accept you'll loose data.

Regards
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Sep 20 2002 - 14:56:37 CDT