Re: Standard Edition on V880

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 21:47:53 +0200

"Eric Headley" <ericheadley_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:54ac6f2c.0209200611.28e767c3_at_posting.google.com...
> Can I license Standard Edition on a Sun V880 ? I have read that
> Oracle does not license Standard Edition on any machine capable of
> running more than 4 processors. I have no intention however of ever
> using more than 2 processors in the V880. What is my position ?
>
> Eric Headley

You can not license Standard Edition. The basic keyword here is *capable* of running more than 4 processors. Whether there are processors in those slots doesn't matter. Ran into this issue recently with a client recently, and Oracle wouldn't the client to run Standard, so they were forced replace the server, as they couldn't afford Enterprise anymore. Not that it really mattered, as the application isn't capable with Parallel Query anyway (multi-database application)

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Fri Sep 20 2002 - 14:47:53 CDT