Re: Recovering the Data from DBF files

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 19:26:26 +0200

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 11:33:06 -0500, "Young" <uylee_at_madco911.com> wrote:

>Recently our database server(with Oracle8i) crashed due to the harddrive
>failure.
>Fortunately the harddrive was not badly damaged and we were able to recover
>all the oracle related files including all the DBF.
>But here is the problem. We need to somehow export the data from DBF files
>then import them into new DB.

Why?
>Is it possible to extract the data from those DBF files?
No, except for using Data UnLoader from Oracle Support which will cost you big wad
>Or is there any other method to retrieve them?

You need to use the normal recovery procedures outlined in the backup and recovery manual. However you sound like your database is not running in archivelog.
In that case the only thing you can do is pray and create a new controlfile (syntax in the manual), and open the database with resetlogs and forget about the changes you just lost.

Regards

>Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Fri Sep 20 2002 - 12:26:26 CDT