Re: Determining whether Oracle8 Client is installed

From: TurkBear <john.greco_at_dot.state.mn.us>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 08:38:16 -0500

This is probably true most of the time, but as Billy Verreynne pointed out there is no way to determine if it is installed correctly..Oracle's uninstaller may miss some things especially if used badly, and even if you checked for a tnsnames.ora file in the ORACLE_HOME/Network/admin ( or maybe Net80/admin) location, it could be a leftover..Or they could have multiple homes, or other problems..

Just a nitpick as well, there are 2 distinct 'flavors' of Oracle 8 - the 8.0.x series and the 8.1.x ( often called 8i ) - they are not fully interchangeable, so your program would have to also check for 'which' Oracle8 is installed, if any..

The only real way is to hope that your users can read the requirements...

   http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----= Over 100,000 Newsgroups - Unlimited Fast Downloads - 19 Servers =----- Received on Fri Sep 20 2002 - 08:38:16 CDT