Oracle SQLPlus books for newbie?

From: Richard B. Becker <richard.becker_at_mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:49:37 GMT

I work for a computer software company, and I've just started to work with clients who are on the Oracle version of our software. Basically, our software writes a bunch of data to the Oracle database, and part of my job is to help my clients write reports on that data, research any scenarios where the program might be writing incorrect data, and help the clients modify data if the program (or the client) does something to mess it up.

Unfortunately, my company's training methods are pretty weak, so I'm looking to buy a book or two to train myself on Oracle and SQLPlus. Obviously, playing around in the database using SQLPlus is the most important part to me, but I'd also like to learn what I can about installing and maintaining an Oracle datbase on NT and HP-Ux environments.

At this point, all I know is the absolute basics of SQLPlus queries, and pretty much nothing else about Oracle databases. I was thinking that it might be best to get two books: one as an introductory "class" type book that goes through the basics (SQL for Dummies, perhaps?), and the other being a more encyclopedic reference to look up the more detailed questions that might come up.

Does anyone have recommendations for the best books for this? Any advice would be appreciated!

--Richard Received on Thu Sep 19 2002 - 17:49:37 CDT