Oracle8i JDBC versus Postgresql?

From: David Wall <d.wall_at_computer.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 21:05:17 -0700

Does anybody have experience using both PG's JDBC and that for Oracle8i? I'm interested in any gotchas and such that I might come across. I have to port my app from PG7.2.2 to O8.1.7...

For example, I know that I have a non-portable bit of code to detect a DUPLICATE KEY exception. There are times when a duplicate key exception alter the flow of control, and for those cases, I need a way to detect these. For now, the hack for PG is to check for some specific text in the SQLException. I suspect there will be something in Oracle, as well, though I hope it's cleaner, such as a specific error code within the exception.

Second, I know that for some user-defined queries, I use ILIKE to find matches on fields without regard to case. I'll need some way to handle that in Oracle, which I understand may not have such a thing (is there a "pure/portable SQL" way to do this?).

As for datatypes, in PG I've pretty much stuck with CHAR, VARCHAR, TEXT (String); OID(blob); INT2, INT4 and INT8 (short,int,long); BOOL (boolean); DATE and TIMESTAMP.

Does anybody know any good sources of such info?

Thanks,
David Received on Wed Sep 18 2002 - 23:05:17 CDT