Re: multiple schemas per user - possible?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 06:15:04 +1000

Well, I see you got correct replies from others... since USER=SCHEMA, the precise answer to your question is "no".

But I noticed this phrase in your original post:

"But, how do we account for a situation where a single user would like to have serveral distinct versions of the tables in his schema?"

...at which point, I immediately thought "Workspace Manager", which is a feature of 9i. It lets you create virtual 'workspaces' within the database, to which you 'travel' in the same sort of way as you'd navigate a directory tree on your hard disk with the "cd" o/s command, and when you've arrived you can do transactionally-consistent manipulations of data without impacting on the "real" data in the "real" table. You can have as a many workspaces as you like: the only cost is that each workspace, and it's version of the table data, are stored as extra rows in the original table.

As an example:

select * from emp;
EMPNO ENAME SAL
-------- -------- -----
7394 SMITH 750

exec dbms_wm.enableversioning('SCOTT','EMP')
exec dbms_wm.createworkspace('HIGHSAL')
exec dbms_wm.gotoworkspace('HIGHSAL')

update emp set sal=sal+sal;
commit;
select * from emp;
EMPNO ENAME SAL
-------- -------- -----
7394 SMITH 1500 exec dbms_wm.gotoworkspace('LIVE') ("LIVE" is the workspace where 'real' data is visible)
select * from emp;
EMPNO ENAME SAL
7394 SMITH 750 exec dbms_wm.mergeworkspace('HIGHSAL')
select * from emp;
EMPNO ENAME SAL
7394 SMITH 1500 So now the model data in the "HIGHSAL' workspace is visible in the ordinary workspace that ordinary users see when they log on.

It's an incredibly powerful feature, very easy to use, and has rather more subtelty and flexibility than I've shown here. I could have killed for this feature about 8 years ago, and it's nice that it's there now.

It may be that this doesn't help your particular problem (and you didn't, in any case, mention what version of Oracle you are using), but it certainly addresses the general problem of how you allow a single user to have multiple simultaneous versions of the same table data.

Regards