Re: TNS could not resolve service name

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2002 15:33:19 GMT

Nicky wrote:

> Hi,
> I am completly new to Oracle and am in need of some guidance..
> I have the above problen when I try to connect to a remote Oracle Db
> from my Windows 2000 machine - I have installed and configured the
> Oracle 8i driver and up until yesterday was able to connect to the db
> via the SQL*Plus, as of today I cant even do that. I have also tried
> TNSPing and that works only if I am using the IP and not the name. I
> would be eternally gratefull if someone could point me in the right
> direction.
> Cheers
> Nicky

Sounds to me like some sysadmin renamed the box or the name server is down. If the IP address works ... use it. All you need to do is open the file tnsnames.ora located at c:\oracle\ora81\network\admin and replace the server name with the IP address.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Sep 17 2002 - 10:33:19 CDT