Re: Needs help urgent..

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: 17 Sep 2002 03:59:38 -0700

priya_at_starcomsoftware.com (priya) wrote in message news:<1ae23258.0209162213.66a85c16_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi..
>
> I want to update two tables which have ref. integrity constraints among them.
> When I'm updating master table's primary key it gives me error as
>
> 'Integrity constraint violated .. child record found'
>
> When I'm updating detail table's ref. key gives me error as
>
> 'Integrity constraint violated.. no parent record found'
>
> Is there any way to solve above problem other than enabling / disabling
> constraints before updattion ?
>
> Thanks,
> Priya

This would only make the mess you are currently in *bigger* so that is exactly the *worst* measure you could take. You could disable them temporarily and resolve your integrity problems before proceeding.
The first message says: you want to delete say a department, and the department still has employees
The second message says : you want to insert an employee with an unknown department.
If the datamodel is correct, and there appropiate constraint the error messages are *COMPLETELY* justified, and your proposal is to going to screw up things.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA Received on Tue Sep 17 2002 - 05:59:38 CDT