What's behind the scene in a database

From: Mikael Osterhed <moster_no_spam_67_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 20:15:21 GMT

Hi, I just wanna ask you a question which I think many of us are not aware of and which might be of interest to many of us visitors here at comp.databases.oracle.misc

"What's behind the scene in a database ?" and what makes Oracle the prime-choice..

Most of us are used to have Oracle installed and most of our tasks are to administrate it and write queries to interrogate the data it is storing for us. However I am also a programmer (Visual Basic - yes I know...but it is fast and time is money for most companies) and I have always wondered "what is the source-code like for a (any) database. With help of SQL I am able to interrogate, let loose scripts etc but what does a database do with my SQL-statements internally. I guess it receives my statements and then treat/translate these through its calls and functions. Someone told me that writing a database, I mean a database from scratch, is one of the most difficult things a programmer can do..

Anyone who can "educate" me in regard to my above mentioned enquires or share a link where I can read about it ?

And what about XML ? Will XML change the way are using a database today ?

Rgds,

Mike Received on Mon Sep 16 2002 - 15:15:21 CDT