Re: Where can I download Personal Oracle 7.3 for Windows NT

From: Mikael Osterhed <moster_no_spam_67_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 19:28:17 GMT

Great idea! I will see if I can get hold of some 7 Oracle books!!

Yep, I know that we (our company) should upgrade. However the Accounts Department are quite pleased with the Accounting-Software running on the Oracle 7-server. To be honest, during all these years not even a single data-bit has been corrupted and I think this might be another reason why they would like to stick to the current Oracle-version and its accounting-software. Perhaps the new versions of Oracle (8 and 9) might offer a lot of nice wizards and add-ons for creating reports, web-publishing etc which by itself could be a good reason for updating. However so far I have been able to make these reports and intranet-stuff with Access,Visual Basic,Crystal Reports, Interdev along with some stored procedures for speed.

Anyway all of you who has replied to my enquiry and suggesting "upgrading" has convinced me that "upgrading" should be looked into and valuated and I will do so. Many thanks for your advice.

Rgds,

Mike

"Van Messner" <vmessner_at_bestweb.net> wrote in message news:uoa92q8lne1le3_at_corp.supernews.com...
> Like they said, you should upgrade. But if that's not possible, personal
> Oracle was included as a bound in CD on a lot of version 7 Oracle books.
An
> Amazon search might turn up an old book that has a copy.
>
> Van
>

> "Justin Cave" <jocave_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > If you have a version of Personal Oracle 7, I guess I stand corrected.
> >
> > You should have no problem importing a dump file from Oracle 7 into
> > Oracle 8 or 9. You should be fine downloading the latest version of
> > Personal Oracle.
> >
> > I'd echo Mr. Bakker's comments that Oracle7 is long-since desupported,
> > so you're in a bit of a bind. I'd strongly suggest updating the
> > database to Oracle 9 (at least 8.1.7), just to ensure that you don't
> > run into more problems later.
> >
> > Justin Cave
> >

> > "Mikael Osterhed" <moster_no_spam_67_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > Well, I still use Personal Oracle 7 (perhaps the version 7.3 doesn't
> exist)
> > > for Windows 95 as a developer-tool on my laptop before porting my work
> onto
> > > the server (which is running Oracle 7). The problem is that I just got
> new
> > > laptop with Win 2K and since I vaguely remember ( I may be wrong)
there