Re: Has anyone used the QuestSqlPlus Toad tool from Toadsoft?

From: Jennifer <sweetiwpie183_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 1 Sep 2002 09:33:12 -0700

Sean M <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESadelphia.net> wrote in message news:<3D717484.53F5E7C_at_BACKSIESadelphia.net>...
> jim wrote:
> >
> > "Sean M" <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESadelphia.net> wrote in message
> >
> what we use # for now. I know it sounds like I'm picking on you and
> TOAD, but I'm just pointing out that the basic tools like
> telnet/ssh/vi/sqlplus still have their place in the modern GUI world.
> I'm all for GUI's for certain tasks, but anyone who can't also get the
> job done with telnet and vi and sqlplus have no business being a dba in
> a large production environment.

Yet anyone who ignores the gui tools which save 9/10ths of their time (using your 10 seconds to issue a simple ssh file compared to one second to single click in TOAD) is being stubburn, pure and simple. I use the TOAD DBA module and find it serves nearly all of my daily tasks.

It sounds like you spend yout time rolling out new databases and not babysitting existing ones. Which puts you in about 1% of all professional DBAs. And your comments are also therefore out-weighed 100 to 1. If TOAD is beneficial and even crucial to the other 99% of us "grunt" DBAs and doesn't serve your peculiar and very narrow needs, does it really matter? And doesn't that mean that Sql*Plus has a lock on only 1% share of the market?

> > We ship with around 60 of the most common jobs (export table, database
> > shutdown, and so on ad nauseam). In addition you can add your own to the
> > dictionary.
>
> Which begs the question - who is using your canned scripts for common
> jobs in a production environment? People that probably ought to have

I am -- and VERY much! I enjoy being able to perform many of the typical tasks (delete trace files > 5 days old, compress those over 3 days old, etc) with a drag-n-drop and then being able to watch the status of the executions all without resorting to 18th century tools such as Sql*Plus. Come on, a "great command line tool" That statement alone is an oxymoron. We still can't even backspace in Sql*Plus. TOAD is the tool that Oracle should have been shipping years ago. Received on Sun Sep 01 2002 - 11:33:12 CDT